Wednesday 16 September 2009

New Book

I have finished a draft of my new book, and have given it to a few people to read, and only one has got back to me so far! I look at the pages and scroll through them and can't seem to find the energy to do anything with it, so I write this instead, or clean up, or ring the vet. And then I check my emails, including the junk box, and then sign into facebook and then check my bank account.

And then every time I do look at the "book" (Its not sold yet) there is something that could be improved on. Always. I don't even know if it's any good any more, because I can no longer be objective about the plot or the characters. A brilliant girl called Deborah Susman from my writing group went through it for me and made some brilliant observations, but she didn't reference her comments with any page numbers so I am desperately looking at her remarks, like "Jen tells Jack to ask Ellie directly about the boyfriend but I thought he already had" And a) I can't remember writing that and b) I don't know where I wrote it. There are 80,000 words.

Its 1031am and I have done nothing but sit here and read other people's blogs and think about ringing up the cat insurance people to give them the vets fax number.

And I'm not sure about the title of the new book, it could be The Holiday, or The Summer Holiday. Some days I think its a brilliant title perfect for reading on a summer holiday and other days I think it's boring? Is it? The story, by the way, is about a group of people on holiday and how all their lives change over the week they are together.

I suppose I'd better get back to it now. If anyone feels like reading it and making comments good and bad, please let me know.

11 comments:

  1. I would love to read it!
    http://www.fabbrunette.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Margarita. I am just going over it one more time, so it won't be straight away. do you mind it being sent as attachment....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I would love to read it! I'm not a writer (only of blogs), but an avid reader of everything and anything. I do remember reading your 1st book, years ago, probably when it first came out. I haven't read 'The seven year itch' yet, but will do. karen@newhouse.me.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to read it! Might inspire me to keep going with mine, which is in the doldrums ....there's a tag for you at my place, too

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow thank you DD...I wiII send when finished going through. And wiII Iook at your tag.x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh keep going and get back to that friend if you can. Is it the same Ellie and Jack from Seven Year Itch? I hope so, I'd love to know where you take their story. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Jo, yes they come back, Ellie as quite a minor character, and we see what happens. Plodding slowly through her notes and finding her references. Feel scared though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brighton Mum, thanks for offer, am going to send this when I've gone through it all once more, Thank youxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kate, great to meet you today. Would love to read your new book if you are still looking for readers - and we could even meet for a coffee to hand the manuscript over in a secret squirrel styley if you like...

    You can contact me at pottymummy@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not going to offer to read your book, as I don't think I'm qualified to critique it. I've never written a book, although I've read many, and I only write my blog. I wouldn't know where to start on helping you with your book. I'm sure there are people better qualified than I am. I did enjoy visiting you and reading your older posts and will be by every time you renew. I really loved Fanny and Alexander too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just found your blog - good luck with the book. Lucky you to have been so successful as a writer - I've recently finished my first novel (70,000 words) and can't find an agent(yet!). A little depressing, but I loved writing it, and have just started another. Made the mistake of creating a blog 3 weeks ago....I'm strangely compelled, but it takes up so much time when i feel I should be concentrating on novel 2. Or doing the shopping. Procrastination being the thief of time etc....Would love to read yours, but honestly I'm in 2 book clubs and have a pile at my bedside....Good luck though, and maybe you will check out my blog sometime - oldermumsarefun.blogspot.com. x

    ReplyDelete

Is It Just Me Or Are Fad Diets a Waste of Time and Money?

I had lunch with a friend the other day. While I tucked into a substantial salad she sipped a sad black tea and boasted that she had lost 9...